Python for Managers
On track to overtake Java in the rankings of the most popular programming languages in the world, Python allows you to leverage large amounts of data to make better decisions for your business. Easy to read and immensely powerful, it is quickly becoming an integral part of many professions — from finance and insurance to technology, healthcare, retail, and ecommerce.
With our Python for Managers program, you’ll acquire hands-on Python coding skills and get insights into its practical business applications. You’ll learn how to connect to APIs, scrape data from websites, and access and analyze large volumes of data efficiently and effectively.
Designed for professionals with no prior programming experience, the four-day program features a combination of lectures and hands-on exercises with the Columbia Business School Executive Education faculty and a team of highly skilled teaching assistants available throughout the program to provide small-group support.
In light of COVID-19, this provider is now delivering some or all of their courses online. Contact them for more information!
Who should attend?
The program is intended for two primary audiences:
- Managers looking to become more effective technical leaders in their day-to-day work, but who don’t necessarily intend to code themselves. Hands-on sessions for this audience will revolve around looking at examples of Python code and understanding how they work
- Those looking to start using code in their day-to-day work. Hands-on sessions for this audience will revolve around writing their own Python code, and the program will provide a springboard for a future, more advanced study
Representative roles and titles may include:
- Product managers, growth hackers, business strategy managers, product marketing managers
- Risk managers, portfolio managers, high-frequency traders
- Data analysts, data scientists, analytics managers, and VPs
- Project managers
- Management consultants
- Anyone who has outgrown Excel for data analysis
Day 1: Python Fundamentals, Part 1
- Welcome to the Program and Orientation
- Review Evolution and Purpose of Python
- Understanding Your Development Environment
- Running Your First Piece of Python Code
Day 2: Python Fundamentals, Part 2
- Indentation in Python
- If Statements
- Going Deeper with Strings
Day 3: Introduction to Data in Python
- Introduction to Pandas
- Reading and Writing Files
- Filtering DataFrames
- Plotting DataFrames
- Joins in Python
Day 4: Advanced Topics
- Connecting Python to Excel
- Automation with Python
- Using APIs
Course delivery details
Four consecutive days with live online sessions from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. ET.
The program is divided into two sections: part one focuses on fundamentals, and part two focuses on business applications. After learning the Python fundamentals, you'll leverage case studies involving simulated data to demonstrate how to organize, aggregate, and analyze large amounts of data using Python in a real-world context.
Before class, students will be sent instructions on how to set up their Python development environment. We will hold office hours to help students with any issues so that we can all hit the ground running on day 1.
Certification / Credits
Upon completion of this program, you will earn 3 credits towards a certificate with select alumni and tuition benefits.
Python for Managers will help you build the capacity to organize large volumes of data and combine data from disparate sources so you can make better business decisions.
After completing this class, you will:
- Understand how code works, including basic concepts such as variables, loops, if statements, and functions
- Be able to write simple Python scripts to carry out repetitive tasks
- Understand how Python can be used as part of more advanced business workflows such as complex data analytics, scraping, interacting with Excel, and connecting to larger APIs
- Speak the language required to manage technical teams that use Python in their day-to-day work
About Columbia Business School Executive Education
Columbia Business School Executive Education
Columbia Business School Executive Education provides executives from across industries and sectors with the tools, frameworks, and learning needed to lead and excel. Designed for high-impact business leaders, our offerings include over 50 non-degree, open-enrollment programs in leadership, strategy, finance, and marketing...
Contact this provider
Have a question about this course? Fill out this form and the provider will get in touch with you shortly
No reviews available
Need help with your search?
findcourses.com offers a free consultancy service to help compare training for you and your team