Management Training - Forum

8/27/2014 8:32 AM   Pablo

What's the difference between management and leadership & development? Some of these courses seem very similar to me.

RE: Management Training
9/4/2014 1:53 PM   FindCourses.com

Hello Pablo,

Thanks for your question. Management and Leadership & Development, while sharing many similarities, are actually quite different subjects.

Management is usually a corporate entity with the responsibility to supervise and oversee other departments and employees as part of their job description. Leadership, on the other hand, is not solely tied to a certain position. A leader can be any employee, not just someone in management or on the corporate level. Many times leaders are born out of groups of equivalent employees and these leaders are not in charge of the employees, but are their peers.

Management and leadership overlap in the sense that most businesses recruit employees with strong leadership qualities to be in a management position. If a manager cannot successfully lead, they will have a hard time delegating tasks and supervising their employees. Therefore, while one does not have to be a manager to be a leader, one usually needs to be a leader to effectively manage.

If you are interested in taking a management or leadership development course, keep these differences in mind. Though not everyone at a company can be a manager, they can all exhibit leadership qualities. If you want to advance in a company, leadership development training may be the key for you. If you are already in a management position or are about to be promoted into a management position, consider taking a management course. 

Hope this helps,

FindCourses.com

RE: Management Training
9/12/2014 8:21 AM   Paige Robinson, Office Manager
Hi!

I am an office manager at a large corporation based in New York City. I have been working in management for about 10 years now, and I must say that this kind of question is brought up often. In my opinion, the difference is that a manager must be a leader, but a leader does not necessarily have to be in management.

I am in charge of around 30 employees, and though they are not in management positions, many of them show many leader characteristics. They take initiative, they are innovative, and more importantly they can get others behind their cause.

If you want to become a great manager or supervisor, I believe you must also be a great leader. Possibly you should take a few leadership courses if you are planning on going in to management and then once you have been promoted take some management courses.

Good luck in your future endeavors!

L&DReport2022

Our newsletter
Leave your email and stay updated on professional training