The Virtual Subject Matter Expert
Advanced skills for delivering training online
Your Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) are often called upon to do things outside their comfort zone and abilities. Facilitating online training is one example. Facilitating training requires knowledge of adult learning theory and experience in presenting information in a way that resonates with learners. Training in a virtual environment has added complexities such as keeping learners engaged, being able to read the virtual room, and effectively using online tools.
This series of virtual training sessions are designed to help Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) understand their dual roles in the virtual training environment: expert and facilitator of learning. While working on real-life training content, participants will practice presenting content, facilitating group discussions, and setting up and debriefing exercises to make their training engaging, effective, and meaningful.
This workshop is based on the book Effective SMEs: A Trainer’s Guide for Helping Subject Matter Experts Facilitate Learning, which was co-authored by Dale Ludwig and Greg Owen-Boger, Turpin’s leadership team.
Throughout this series of virtual sessions and on-demand modules, participants apply the principles of The Orderly Conversation® to their own real-life virtual training content.
The Virtual Subject Matter Expert includes pre-work and access eCoach – our program for pre-work and post-workshop performance support. Participants receive reusable job aids and reference materials to help them apply what they learn in class to the situations they face outside of it.
All Turpin Workshops are highly customized to your organization’s and employees’ specific goals and challenges and can be delivered virtually or on-site.
Upcoming start dates
Inquire for more information
- Virtual Classroom
Who should attend?
Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) asked to deliver training in the virtual environment
Participants will learn to
- Understand their dual role as experts and as facilitators of learning
- Engage attendees in a comfortable, flexible learning conversation
- Manage nervousness and gain self-awareness
- Frame the training using a simple strategy so that learners understand direction, purpose, context, and why they should participate
- Be clear and concise
- Create (or modify existing) visual aids to support key messages
- Deliver visuals effectively and manage learner focus
- Weave in stories to enhance engagement
- Think on their feet and facilitate fruitful interactions with attendees
- Use virtual tools, including video, to enhance learning and maximize engagement
- Bring out reluctant or disengaged learners
- Set up, run, and debrief learning activities
- Lean on a host to manage technology on the back end
Course delivery details
Duration: 5 3-hour sessions
Maximum Enrollment: 6
Number of Instructors: 2
Location: Client’s virtual platform or Turpin’s Zoom
Contact Turpin for price information.
Why choose Turpin Communication?
Customizable business communication training courses.
Expert communication trainers and coaches.
30+ years of focused communication skills expertise.
Contact this provider
Custom Presentation and Facilitation Skills Training for Your Team
Turpin Communication is a business communication training company. We build the skills presenters, meeting facilitators, and trainers need to achieve their goals, work more efficiently, and grow leadership capabilities. Our process is about simplification and personalization. We untangle confusing assumptions,...