Mastering TDD / Test Driven Development | Unit Testing, Mocking, JUnit, Refactoring & More
Mastering Test Driven Development using JUnit is a five-day, comprehensive hands-on test-driven development / JUnit / TDD training course geared for developers who need to get up and running with essential Test-driven development programming skills using JUnit and various open-source testing frameworks. Throughout the course students learn the best practices for writing great programs in Java, using test-driven development techniques.
Students will leave the course armed with the skills required to leverage solid TDD practices using the latest industry techniques and best practices. This course quickly introduces developers to the features of JUnit and educates them regarding JUnit’s strengths and weaknesses.
This skills-centric course is about 50% hands-on lab and 50% lecture, designed to train attendees in core TDD skills, coupling the most current, effective techniques with the soundest industry practices. Throughout the course, students will work on a project with labs specifically oriented towards using TDD to implement a complex and multi-faceted web application that uses a database in its final form.
Working in a hands-on learning environment, guided by our expert team, attendees will learn to:
- Understand JUnit.
- Understand and use the JUnit Test Runner interface.
- Use JUnit to drive the implementation of Java code.
- Test applications using native IDE support.
- Best practices and patterns for test development.
- Understand JUnit’s strengths and weaknesses
- Understand the role of debugging when done in conjunction with tests.
- Understand not only the fundamentals of the TDD using Java, but also its importance, uses, strengths and weaknesses.
- Understand how JUnit affects your perspective on development and increases your focus on a task.
- Learn good JUnit coding style.
- Create well-structured JUnit programs.
- Compile and execute programs using JUnit, jWebUnit, and DBUnit using the IDE of your choice.
- How to extend testing with mock objects using EasyMock.
- Look at refactoring techniques available to make code as reusable/robust as possible.
- Discuss various testing techniques.
Specific Java 8 features that are covered in the course include:
- JUnit 4.x (also available for JUnit 5 – please inquire)
- EasyMock (also available for Mockito – please inquire)
Session: Introducing Test-driven Development
Lesson: Test-Driven Development
- Test, code, refactor, repeat
- The ROI of TDD
Session: Unit Testing using JUnit
Lesson: Unit Testing Fundamentals
- Purpose of Unit Testing
- Good Unit Tests
- Test Stages
- Unit Testing Vs Integration Testing
- Understanding Unit Testing Frameworks
Lesson: Jumpstart: JUnit 4.x
- JUnit Overview
- How JUnit Works
- Launching Test
- Test Suites
- JUnit Test Fixture
- Lab: Demo: JUnit
- Lab: Build JUnit Case Study
- Lab: Jumpstart JUnit
- Lab: Reapply JUnit
Lesson: @Test Annotation
- Test Execution Cycle
- Checking for Exceptions
- Using Timeouts
- Lab: Working with @Test Annotation
- About Hamcrest
- The Hamcrest Matcher Framework
- Hamcrest Matchers
- Lab: Working with Hamcrest
Lesson: Parameterized Tests
- Injecting the Parameter
- Setting the Parameters
- Test Execution Cycle
- Lab: Working with Parameterized Tests
- Writing Theory Enabled Tests
- Defining DataPoints
- Defining Theories
- Lab: Working with Theories
Lesson: JUnit Best Practices
- "Good" Tests
- Bad Smell
- White-Box Unit Testing
- Black-Box Unit Testing
- Automation and Coverage
Session: Testing Tools
Lesson: Web Testing: jWebUnit/HttpUnit
- Web Client-side testing
- Differences Between jWebUnit and JUnit
- How to Implement jWebUnit Tests
- Lab: jWebUnit
- TDD Course Project Part 1 - Presentation
Lesson: Mocking of Components
- Why We use Test Dummies
- Mock Objects
- Working with Mock Objects
- Using Mocks with the User Interface
- Mock Object Strategies
Lesson: Mock Objects and EasyMock
- EasyMock Description and Features
- EasyMock Object Lifecycle
- Create/Expect Phase
- Replay/Verify Phase
- Mocking Complex Objects
- EasyMock HOWTO
- Lab: Mock Objects and EasyMock
- Lab: Working with EasyMock
- PowerMock Description and Features
- PowerMock Object Lifecycle
- Mocking a Static Method
- TDD Course Project Part 2 - Infrastructure
Session: Advanced Topics
Lesson: State-based vs. Interaction-based Testing
- State-based Testing
- Interaction-based Testing
- Mock Objects Support Each Approach
- Three Areas to Check in a Test
- Lab: Interaction-based Testing
Lesson: Improving Code Quality Through Refactoring
- Refactoring Overview
- Refactoring and Testing
- Refactoring to Design Patterns
- Naming conventions
- Lab: Refactoring
- Lab: Best Practices - Refactoring Tests
Lesson: Database Testing: DBUnit
- Setting up DBUnit
- Defining a Dataset File
- Writing a DBUnit Test Class
- Lab: Setup the TriveraTunes Database
- Lab: DBUnit
- TDD Course Project Part 3 - Persistence
- TDD Course Project Part 4 – Integration
Lesson: Adding Testing to the Build Process
- JUnit and Ant
- The Ant JUnit Tag
- Running JUnit Tests from Ant
- Generating a JUnitReport
- Resources on TDD
Course delivery details
Student Materials: Each student will receive a Student Guide with course notes, code samples, software tutorials, diagrams and related reference materials and links (as applicable). Our courses also include step by step hands-on lab instructions and and solutions, clearly illustrated for users to complete hands-on work in class, and to revisit to review or refresh skills at any time. Students will also receive the project files (or code, if applicable) and solutions required for the hands-on work.
Classroom Setup Made Simple: Our dedicated tech team will work with you to ensure your classroom and lab environment is setup, tested and ready to go well in advance of the course delivery date, ensuring a smooth start to class and seamless hands-on experience for your students. We offer several flexible student machine setup options including guided manual set up for simple installation directly on student machines, or cloud based / remote hosted lab solutions where students can log in to a complete separate lab environment minus any installations, or we can supply complete turn-key, pre-loaded equipment to bring ready-to-go student machines to your facility. Please inquire for details, options and pricing.
- Price: $ 2,395.00
- Discounted Price: $1,556.75
Why choose Trivera Technologies LLC?
Over 25 years of technology training expertise.
Robust portfolio of over 1,000 leading edge technology courses.
Guaranteed to run courses and flexible learning options.
Contact this provider
Trivera Technologies is a IT education services & courseware firm that offers a range of wide professional technical education services including: end to end IT training development and delivery, skills-based mentoring programs,new hire training and re-skilling services, courseware licensing and...