Mastering Difficult Conversations in Elder Care (Public Course)
This two-day workshop has been designed to help health care professionals and administrative staff to handle difficult conversations and difficult situations related to Elder Care.
Aging can bring many benefits including extra time to enjoy family, friends and personal pursuits. It can also include: declining physical and mental capacity; illness; disability; complex treatment and care plans; pain; emotional suffering; and the realization that the end of life is approaching.
As a result, Elder Care is a field that is ripe with the potential for difficult emotional reactions, challenging conversations and conflicts. While nothing can completely eliminate these challenges, there are things we can do that will make them better.
Upcoming start dates
Inquire for more information
- North America
Inquire for more information
Who should attend?
The Mastering Difficult Conversations in Elder Care Workshop is designed for Directors of Care Nurses, Personal Support Workers, Long-term care administrators and staff, Retirement home administrators and staff, Hospital administrators, Hospice staff and Doctors.
We have designed and delivered customized workshops for organizations such as Extendicare, the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Ontario Medical Association, Women in Medicine, William Osler Health Centre, Beaumont Hospital, Ontario Patient Relations Association, Aptus Treatment Centre, College of Nurses of Ontario, and St. John Ambulance.
Contact us about customized training prices.
Certification / Credits
Graduates receive a certificate from the University of Windsor Law School.
- Manage angry or upset people with less stress for everyone
- Deliver difficult messages clearly to promote understanding
- Increase your power to promote agreement
- Overcome the fears that lead you to avoid conversations
- De-escalate a conflict so it doesn’t become a complaint
- Confront unacceptable behaviour calmly and respectfully
- Understand the legal framework of consent, capacity and substitute decision making
- Save time by avoiding unnecessary mistakes in difficult conversations
- Improve your effectiveness and decrease your stress in difficult situations
- Improved client/patient care
- Less wasted time having unnecessary or repetitive difficult conversations
- Fewer complaints from clients, patients, families, substitute decision makers
- Minimized risk of lawsuits or regulatory complaints
- Improved morale due to less stress regarding difficult conversations
Why choose SFHGroup?
Over 55,000 people trained
Over 850 customized workshops delivered
University of Windsor Law School Certificate workshops
Average rating 5
The instructors had broad legal knowledge and easily picked up on examples from the audience. There were lots of tips to help facilitate improved communication with clients and ...
I liked the practical approaches to real life situations in elder care. The exercises were very helpful in improving skills and testing framing the conversations.
The workshop was very engaging. The instructors displayed great knowledge. The role plays were highly valuable.
Contact this provider
Stitt Feld Handy Group
Since 1994, more than 55,000 people have attended our public workshops to learn new approaches to resolve conflicts, negotiate better deals, communicate more effectively, improve customer service and build their ability to coach others. We also conduct practical skills-based customized...