Introduction to Seismic Stratigraphy: A Basin Scale Regional Exploration Workshop - ISSPetroSkills
Introduction to Seismic Stratigraphy: A Basin Scale Regional Exploration Workshop - ISS
All available course dates
Introduction to Seismic Stratigraphy: A Basin Scale Regional Exploration Workshop – ISS
One of the most revolutionary, most effective, yet most under-utilized tools introduced into exploration this century is that of seismic stratigraphy. It is not a tool exclusive to geophysicists, nor is it a tool only for geologists. Seismic stratigraphic techniques are based upon an integration of firm, well-established geological and geophysical fundamentals. When properly applied, seismic stratigraphy provides a powerful foundation for geohistory analysis, helping describe a basin's evolution and the resulting effects upon its spatial and temporal variation in hydrocarbon potential. Seismic stratigraphy chronostratigraphically constrains both the sedimentological and fault-mechanical stratigraphy of a basin. Furthermore, it can provide a predictive model extrapolated beyond the borehole as to aspects of the quality of potential reservoirs and seals, their sedimentary environments of deposition, and in some cases, even their paragenesis. In this rigorous workshop, participants pragmatically apply the seismic stratigraphic method to optimizing their exploration efforts by working in teams on projects selected from diverse settings around the world. Areas for the projects include borehole-constrained seismic data drawn from such regions as the Alaska North Slope, Gulf of Mexico, Red Sea, Southeast Asia, South America, and Western Africa.
Who should attend?
Geophysicists, geologists, explorationists, and managers who are interested in an introduction or review of the theory and application of contemporary seismic stratigraphic techniques to exploration.
- Introduction: philosophy and history
- Geophysical fundamentals
- Breaking out operational sequences
- Introduction to fault interpretation
- Chronostratigraphy construction and interpretation
- Sea level curves, accommodation space, and cycle orders
- Vail sequence theory and sequence hierarchy
- Carbonate sequences
- Siliciclastic sequences
- Seismic facies
- Paleo-environmental analysis
- Geohistory reconstruction
- Optimizing exploration
Certification / Credits
- Apply geophysical fundamentals to uncovering the geological information embedded within seismic
- Understand the premises behind the Vail seismic sequence paradigm
- Construct and interpret chronostratigraphic charts, sea level curves, and seismic facies maps
- Interpret clastic and carbonate depositional system responses to allocyclic and autocyclic processes and the effects upon reservoir architecture and seal potential
- Systematically reconstruct a basin's geohistory which provides the critical foundation for its petroleum system analysis and effective exploration
PetroSkills is the world leader in training and knowledge transfer in the oil and gas industry. For over 60 years, we have provided the highest quality classroom, virtual, online, simulator training, and e-Learning; all of which is directed and vetted...
No reviews available
Need help with your search?
findcourses.com offers a free consultancy service to help compare training for you and your team
You may also like...