Horizontal Well Placement and Geosteering - HWPPetroSkills
Horizontal Well Placement and Geosteering - HWP
Advances in technology have dramatically reduced the time needed to transmit down hole tool responses to those responsible for interpreting the data in the context of the geological play and the reservoir. It follows that geoscience would request course corrections, which would be relayed to the field, and over time take a more proactive role in geosteering wells while drilling. However, advances in technology have also dramatically reduced the time needed to drill these wells, and proactively geosteering a well while drilling has come to require more than just an understanding of the geoscience.
Geosteering personnel must now be able to gather and process incoming data and make targeting decisions with little time to spare. Down hole log responses must be understood within the context of the entire bottom hole assembly (BHA), including its limitations, and must incorporate trigonometry (for surveys and targeting) as well as the needs of the intended completion/production plan in order to modify targets for a well while drilling. Last but not least, there needs to be a clear process to communicate back to the field, so that the well site engineer and geologist are properly aligned.
Who should attend?
Geoscientists, engineers, or anyone interested in drilling, operations geology or geosteering
- Components of bottom hole assemblies, and mechanisms for steering.
- Introduction to Down hole surveys (trigonometry).
- Dogleg severity; Ellipse of uncertainty.
- Sag Correction and Interpolated In Field Referencing (IIFR).
- Use of At Bit Inclination (ABI) tool.
- Understanding the resistivity tool response in a horizontal wel.
- Modeling of offset resistivity logs.
- Introduce the Azimuthal Deep Resistivity (ADR) responses.
- Depth of tool investigation.
- Flat modeling and horizontal profile.
- Interpret responses from down hole tools, in the context of drilling
- Through concretions
- Through a fault
- Approaching along (and through) a defined contact.
- Review of final drill results before submission to completions.
- Ensuring clarity around decision making and authority when steering.
- Target windows and tracking for geosteering
- Pre-drill target creation.
- Subsequent modification during drilling.
- Strategies around casing point.
- Landing casing for a horizontal (on target).
- Drilling out of casing (blind hole).
- Further case studies demonstrating the complexities of geosteering
Certification / Credits
- The components that make up a bottom hole assembly
- About down hole surveys and the ellipse of uncertainty
- To interpret azimuthal log data while drilling
- Strategies to anticipate problems when steering directional wells
PetroSkills is the world leader in training and knowledge transfer in the oil and gas industry. For over 60 years, we have provided the highest quality classroom, virtual, online, simulator training, and e-Learning; all of which is directed and vetted...
No reviews available
Need help with your search?
findcourses.com offers a free consultancy service to help compare training for you and your team