Basic Petroleum Technology – BPT
This course provides the participant with an understanding of basic petroleum technology in the context of the Petroleum Value Chain and Asset Management, from exploration to abandonment. Unconventional shale (tight oil and gas) and conventional oil and gas are covered. The participant will understand how and when geoscience and engineering professionals use technology to determine and then optimize the economic value of an oil and gas field. This enables the participant to maximize their professional and administrative contribution in their organization. Participants first learn and understand why various global oil and gas production types and plays (unconventional and conventional) have different value. The participant learns which technologies are used by the geoscience and engineering departments during each stage of the asset life cycle and WHY! This E&P lifecycle context accelerates an understanding of basic petroleum technologies and the oil industry. This learning is achieved through guided discussions, videos, animations, and progressive team exercises utilizing 'Our Reservoir' and 'Our Well' as working models.
This course is also available in a 100% online format.
"I felt that it was a great course and perfect for my first year as a working geologist." - Geologist, United States
"The instructor did a great job and brought a ton of industry knowledge. I feel privileged to have attended this class." - Lead Contracts Engineer, United States
Who should attend?
This course is appropriate for those who need to achieve a context and understanding of E&P technologies in conventional and unconventional fields, and/or the role of technical departments in oil and gas operations, and/or be able to understand and use the language of the oilfield.
- World hydrocarbon production and consumption review including reserves, benchmarks, and the impact of shale resources
- Reservoir fluid properties
- Petroleum geology
- The petroleum reservoir, conventional and unconventional
- Exploration technologies for conventional adn unconventional reservoirs including initial reserve estimates and consequent field development
- Drilling and operations
- Well completions and workovers
- Production operations
- Reservoir recovery mechanisms
- Surface processing
Certification / Credits
You will learn:
- The E&P Process and how it differs in conventional vs unconventional plays, the role of each technical department and specialist, and the technologies used
- The economic value and properties of reservoir fluids
- Petroleum geology for exploration and production
- About oil and gas reservoirs, both conventional and unconventional, and understand the key differences
- Exploration and appraisal technologies
- Drilling operations for exploration, development and production
- Production - well completions and production technology
- Reservoir recovery mechanisms through primary, secondary, and tertiary recovery
- Surface processing of produced fluids
Average rating 4.4
"I thought all of the topics covered were applicable and helpful to my development. The course was very thorough."
[Instructor] welcomed questions and provided full and readily understandable answers. The quiz structure allowed reflection on learning. For me, the last chapters were of most b...
I think we covered a whole range of subjects, and I am really satisfied with the time per subject. It was a really good idea to show videos. I have no improvement suggestions.
PetroSkills is the world leader in training and knowledge transfer in the oil and gas industry. For over 60 years, we have provided the highest quality classroom, virtual, online, simulator training, and e-Learning; all of which is directed and vetted...