Basic Petroleum Geology – Petroleum System – Reservoir and Seal
This skill module is presented in two parts, focusing on two essential elements of the Petroleum System. The first part explains the basic concepts of reservoir rock characteristics and describes key depositional and post-depositional factors impacting reservoir quality. Clastic, carbonate, and naturally fractured reservoirs are introduced, including field examples. The second part explains the basic concepts of seal rock characteristics and quality. Different types of seals, including fault seals, are considered and depositional controls for examples of key seal lithologies are described.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Petroleum industry personnel in need of basic geological training, including engineering, geophysical, technical support and administrative personnel.
You will learn
- The concepts of reservoir porosity and permeability
- Controls on reservoir quality by texture
- Post-depositional and diagenetic processes that affect Reservoir Quality
- Classification systems for clastic and carbonate reservoir rocks
- The concept of net pay
- The different types of naturally fractured reservoirs and the concept of dual porosity systems
- The concepts of seal rock characteristics and quality
- The different types of fault seals, including juxtaposition and fault smear seals
PetroSkills is the world leader in training and knowledge transfer in the oil and gas industry. For over 60 years, we have provided the highest quality classroom, virtual, online, simulator training, and e-Learning; all of which is directed and vetted...