Basic Petroleum Geology – BG
What is Basic Petroleum Geology? For all practical purposes it closely resembles the freshman level course that a non-science major at a university would take to satisfy the science requirement. Presentation is oriented toward topics of interest to the petroleum industry. While high school chemistry and physics might help in understanding a very few selected topics, the course is designed for those with no technical training (and those who studiously avoided science in school). Primary objectives of the course are to broaden your geological vocabulary, explain selected geological principles and processes, and describe how certain petroleum reservoirs and source rocks are formed.
"Very good course for people to learn an overview of geoscience concepts in oil industry work flows. Useful for those from a non-geoscience background." - Participant, United States
"All in all, great class. Probably the best course I have ever attended. Great instructor." - Head of Section, Greenland
"Easily the best course I've taken so far." - Participant, United States
Who should attend?
Petroleum industry personnel in need of basic geological training, including engineering, geophysical, technical support and administrative personnel.
- Minerals and rocks
- Plate tectonics
- Geological time
- Weathering and erosion
- Structural geology and petroleum
- Origin, migration, and trapping of petroleum
Certification / Credits
- About plate tectonics and petroleum; About geological time and history
- The fundamentals of rock formation and deformation
- The essentials of various depositional environments and the reservoirs created by them
- The distribution of porosity and permeability in reservoirs produced in different depositional environments
- How rock characteristics are related to modern geological processes and applied to the ancient record
- About petroleum reservoir and source rocks
- Of petroleum origin, migration, and trapping
- How to correlate electric logs and recognize depositional environments on logs
- How to make contour maps and cross sections
- Elements of geophysics and exploration
- How geology bears directly on engineering practices
PetroSkills is the world leader in training and knowledge transfer in the oil and gas industry. For over 60 years, we have provided the highest quality classroom, virtual, online, simulator training, and e-Learning; all of which is directed and vetted...