In Revisions for the 2014 National Electrical Code - Part 1, you'll learn ...
- The “need to know” changes in the 2014 National Electrical Code®
- Code-wide changes in the 2014 National Electrical Code®, as well as changes to specific articles from Article 100 through Article 240
- Significant changes in the rules for arc-fault circuit interrupters (AFCIs) and ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs)
Credit: 4 PDH
Length: 42 pages
This course is Part 1 of a 3-Part Series intended to familiarize the reader with the major changes contained in the 2014 National Electrical Code®. These are the “need to know” changes. The document is heavily illustrated to enable effective and efficient visual learning. The course addresses Code revisions that apply to all types of occupancies: residential, commercial, and industrial. The 3 parts of the Course Series are:
- Part 1: Code-wide changes through Article 240
- Part 2: Article 250 through Article 424
- Part 3: Article 445 through Informative Annex J
The layout and the method of this presentation will enable new Code users to easily navigate through the changes. Those well experienced in the Code will find depth in the coverage.
Through the heading(s) at the beginning of each Code change addressed in the document, the reader will readily identify the section affected by the change and the specific subject being discussed. The Significance section serves as an introduction to the Code change under discussion. An Analysis of the Code change follows, with explanation where necessary to help the student understand the revision, its background, and the logic of the change. Graphics, photographs, examples, or calculations are used to illustrate the change and to enhance learning.
The Summary is a brief re-statement of the highlights of the Code change. An Application Question, with Answer and key to the correct answer, is included at the end of each Code section studied for exercise in applying the change and to broaden learning. Many of the sections analyzed contain a Code Refresher that addresses existing Code requirements related to the change. The author attempts to tie the entire NEC®. together through the study of the changes, Code Refreshers, Technical Updates, Examples, and Application Questions.
Although there are many references to the 2014 NEC® throughout this document, the course and quiz can be completed without the need to refer to the NEC® itself. However, the learning experience will be enhanced by referring to the NEC® as the course is completed. For further study on any Code section within this course, the 2014 NEC® should be consulted.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Certificate of Completion
You will be able to immediately print a certificate of completion after passing a multiple-choice quiz consisting of 25 questions. PDH credits are not awarded until the course is completed and quiz is passed.
This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Significant changes in the 2014 edition of NFPA 70®, the National Electrical Code®
- Rules that must be complied with for a disconnecting means to qualify as lockable open
- New rules for dedicated equipment space for certain outdoor electrical equipment
- New requirements for grounded circuit conductors to be identified or grouped in enclosures to correspond with the ungrounded conductor(s) of the same circuit
- New identification rules applicable to ungrounded DC circuit conductors operating at more than 50 volts
- How to ensure compliance with applicable Code standards when preparing plans and specifications
- New rules for branch circuits for electric vehicle charging equipment
- A change in the method of sizing branch-circuit and feeder conductors where a portion of the load, or the entire load, is continuous
- Enable the student to identify Code sections where additional study may be appropriate for the student’s practice
- Re-acquaint students who use the Code infrequently with some of the basic safety requirements and areas of coverage of the NEC®
Why choose PDHengineer?
Trusted by over 60,000 engineers to meet PDH requirements
Earn reward tokens with each course purchase
Triple guarantee that courses will be accepted by your state licensing board
Contact this provider
Professional Engineers have trusted PDHengineer to provide high-quality PDH courses since 2003. A large library of PDH courses and live, interactive webinars means that engineers can find PDH course material covering all of the major engineering disciplines. Plus, all PDHengineer...