In Residential Guide to Earthquake Design and Construction - Part 2 , you'll learn ...
- Braced wall panel requirements of the International Residential Code (IRC)
- The general principles and IRC requirements for earthquake-resistant construction using stone and masonry veneer
- The IRC's recommendations for improving the earthquake performance of woodframe roof-ceiling systems
- The IRC's provisions for earthquake-resistant design and construction of chimneys, fireplaces, balconies, and decks in houses
Credit: 4 PDH
Length: 58 pages
This course will familiarize engineers with the basic principles of earthquake-resistant design for residential construction. It covers the general earthquake-resistance requirements in the IRC, along with typical construction methods for walls, roof-ceiling systems, chimneys, fireplaces, balconies, and decks.
The course identifies above-code techniques for improving earthquake performance and uses a typical model house to illustrate the concepts discussed and to identify approximate deflections under earthquake loading, which permits performance to be compared for various building configurations using the minimum code requirements and the above-code techniques.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Certificate of Completion
You will be able to immediately print a certificate of completion after passing a multiple-choice quiz consisting of 20 questions. PDH credits are not awarded until the course is completed and quiz is passed.
This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Wood wall light-frame construction
- Stone and masonry veneer
- Masonry wall houses
- Insulating concrete form wall houses
- General roof-ceiling requirements
- Special framing considerations
- Blocking and lateral load paths for roof systems
- Connection of ceiling joists and rafters to walls below
- Roof sheathing
- Lateral capacity issues for wood framed roofs
- Anchorage for chimneys and fireplaces
- Anchorage for balconies and decks
Why choose PDHengineer?
Trusted by over 60,000 engineers to meet PDH requirements
Earn reward tokens with each course purchase
Triple guarantee that courses will be accepted by your state licensing board
Contact this provider
Professional Engineers have trusted PDHengineer to provide high-quality PDH courses since 2003. A large library of PDH courses and live, interactive webinars means that engineers can find PDH course material covering all of the major engineering disciplines. Plus, all PDHengineer...