In Ponds - Planning, Design and Construction , you'll learn ...
- Various purposes and uses of ponds
- Essential planning, design, and building considerations for embankment ponds and excavated ponds
- How to estimate storm runoff rates and associated volumes for a range of storm rainfall amounts, soil groups, land use, cover conditions, and watershed slopes
- Proper maintenance and operation of ponds
Credit: 6 PDH
Length: 75 pages
Ponds serve a variety of purposes and help meet the continued demand for water in the Unites States, providing one of the most reliable and economical sources of water. This course presents an overview of the planning, design, and construction of embankment ponds and excavated ponds. It explains the preliminary studies to make when selecting a pond site and includes guidelines and methods for estimating drainage area and pond capacity, as well as storm runoff and peak discharge rates.
This course is relevant to municipal engineers, highway engineers, and consulting engineers serving private developers.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Certificate of Completion
You will be able to immediately print a certificate of completion after passing a multiple-choice quiz consisting of 30 questions. PDH credits are not awarded until the course is completed and quiz is passed.
This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Water needs and uses for a pond
- Preliminary investigations to make before final design and construction of ponds
- Estimating stormwater runoff rates
- Site surveys for planning and designing the dam, spillways, and other pond features
- Embankment ponds: Detailed soils investigation, Spillway requirements, Pipes through the dam, Planning an earthfill dam, Staking for construction, Building the pond
- Excavated ponds: Soils, Spillway and inlet requirements, Planning the pond, Building the pond
- Sealing the pond
- Establishing vegetation
- Operating and maintaining the pond
- Pond safety before, during, and after construction
Why choose PDHengineer?
Trusted by over 60,000 engineers to meet PDH requirements
Earn reward tokens with each course purchase
Triple guarantee that courses will be accepted by your state licensing board
Contact this provider
Professional Engineers have trusted PDHengineer to provide high-quality PDH courses since 2003. A large library of PDH courses and live, interactive webinars means that engineers can find PDH course material covering all of the major engineering disciplines. Plus, all PDHengineer...