Basics of Crack PropagationPDHengineer
Basics of Crack Propagation
All available course dates
In Basics of Crack Propagation, you'll learn ...
- The three modes of crack propagation
- Two mechanisms of crack advancement in a material
- The justification for a Crack Propagation Theory that is differentiated from the classical Stress Theory
- Standardized material testing methods for Fracture Toughness
- Practical crack propagation cases that are applicable to a large number of situations
Credit: 2 PDH
Length: 45 pages
Whether obvious in a material or not, cracks are an inherent part of any component. This course introduces the engineer to crack propagation principles, and brings a basic understanding on how to tackle problems involving cracks.
The course presents typical crack features and some of the formulae governing crack propagation. The three modes of crack propagation and their features are presented, as defined by George Irwin a few decades ago. The two mechanisms of crack advancement in a material are described and associated material characteristics are presented for a few materials.
The justification is presented for a Crack Propagation Theory that is differentiated from the classical Stress Theory and is supported by several common cases of crack problems, with their respective formulae. Additionally, for the cases when FEA is applicable, several FEA set-up guidelines are suggested.
The course further introduces two standardized material testing methods for Fracture Toughness, the ASTM E399 and the Charpy test principles and general conclusions are mentioned to help the engineer fully understand the applicability of each test.
Going beyond presenting the theory, the course illustrates a few fundamental practical cases that are applicable to a large number of situations. The associated formulae are included, and some numerical cases are shown.
The interested reader can build on the foundations acquired in this course by consulting a list of additional related, more in-depth, topics.
This course will help design engineers, quality and forensic engineers, engineering managers and project managers who are interested in improving their understanding of Crack Propagation Theory.
Who should attend?
Certificate of Completion
You will be able to immediately print a certificate of completion after passing a multiple-choice quiz consisting of 14 questions. PDH credits are not awarded until the course is completed and quiz is passed.
This course teaches the following specific knowledge and skills:
- Basics of the Crack Propagation theories based on the three types of crack opening modes and the situations where they can be encountered
- Why the classical Stress Theory is not applicable to cracks and how the Crack Propagation Theories resolve this
- How FEA can be applied to analyze crack situations (Geometry, LBCs, meshing)
- The ASTM E399 test and how it can be applied to determine the Fracture Critical Toughness for a given material
- The Charpy test and how it can be applied to determine the ductile to brittle material characteristics under varying environmental conditions
- How to use the Stress Intensity Factor formulae for a center cracked plate subjected to tension loading
- How to use the Stress Intensity Factor formulae for a double edge cracked plate subjected to tension loading
- How to use the Stress Intensity Factor formulae for a single edge cracked plate subjected to tension loading
- How to use the Stress Intensity Factor formulae for a single edge crack in a semi-infinite plate under combined loading
- How to use the Stress Intensity Factor formulae for a single edge plate subjected to bending
- How to use the Stress Intensity Factor formulae for a center cracked plate subjected to combined loading
- Understand the basic steps of converting a real-world problem to a problem with known solution, and how to consider the limitations
Why choose PDHengineer?
Trusted by over 60,000 engineers to meet PDH requirements
Earn reward tokens with each course purchase
Triple guarantee that courses will be accepted by your state licensing board
Professional Engineers have trusted PDHengineer to provide high-quality PDH courses since 2003. A large library of PDH courses and live, interactive webinars means that engineers can find PDH course material covering all of the major engineering disciplines. Plus, all PDHengineer...
Contact this provider
Before we redirect you to the course sign-up page, do you mind filling out this form so that we can stay in touch? You can unsubscribe at any time.
No reviews available
Need help with your search?
findcourses.com offers a free consultancy service to help compare training for you and your team