Writing Construction Specifications
Master the art of writing construction specifications with the techniques provided by a nationally recognized expert in the field.
The demand in design firms for construction specification writers has never been greater. Specification writers must master the techniques for product selection, organizing the project manual, coordinating drawings and specifications, integrating engineering specifications, and more. As few colleges teach specifications, the specification writer learns their craft in design firms with a mentor and within the ever-increasing pace of project design and construction. This topic is intended to cover the basics of specification writing based on our 35 years of active experience on more than 4,000 projects. We identify key issues with a look to the future, as LEED® and BIM require more precision within specifications than ever before.
Who should attend?
This live webinar is designed for
- construction and project managers
- vice presidents
- developers and other construction professionals.
The Role of Specifications in the Construction Process
- The Value of Construction Specifications
- Types of Specifications - Sheetspecs, Outline, Short-Form, Full
- Who Writes Specifications and When?
The CSI Project Manual Approach to Specifications
- The New CSI Masterformat 2020, Sectionformat and Pageformat
- Bidding Requirements, General Conditions and General Requirements
- Architectural vs. Engineering Specifications
Common Issues in Specification Preparation
- Product Selection vs. Specification Writing
- Performance vs. Proprietary Specifications
- Use of Reference Standards and Association Standards
- Clear, Concise and Correct Language
Streamlining Specification Writing
- Specification Checklists
- Master Specification Systems
- Office Master Specifications
- Sources for Specifications Online
The Future of Specification Writing
- Green Specs/LEED® V4/V4.1 Specs
- Building Information Modeling and Specifications
- The Specifier as Knowledge Manager
Certification / Credits
- You will be able to define architectural vs. engineering specifications.
- You will be able to describe how to implement the CSI MasterFormat, SectionFormat and PageFormat.
- You will be able to identify performance vs. proprietary specifications.
- You will be able to explain the incorporation of LEED® and green specs.
Contact this provider
Lorman Education Services - Live and On-Demand Courses
Lorman Education Services is a leading provider of online professional development and corporate training for organizations and individual professionals. For more than 30 years, Lorman has delivered relevant, high-quality, professional-level courses that cover a broad range of business and technical...