Utilizing Macros in Microsoft® Excel®
Don’t be afraid of macros – learn how to create and use them. When you find yourself repeating actions in Excel® – whether it’s a five-step sequence you use when formatting a certain cell type or the 30 steps you use when you sort, filter, and print multiple worksheets once a week, the possibility exists that you can automate these actions in the form of a macro. Thereafter, you can perform these sets of actions with a simple keystroke combination, a button in a worksheet, or by using a button in the Quick Access toolbar. This topic shows you how to create these macro shortcuts, alerts you to situations ideal for creating macros, and explores the actual code (in the language called Visual Basic) created when you record command sequences. This is not a course in Visual Basic, but you will get a quick look at it and understand its role in creating and using macros. Creating a macro may ultimately involve programming techniques but most macros are developed by recording the way you use standard Excel® commands. This topic will show you how to create macros and give you examples of various macros that handle large amounts of information and interact with multiple files. You will also see how to activate a macro with commands, buttons, keystrokes, or pictures.
Who should attend?
- Rationale for Using a Macro – Why?
- Frequent Use of Lengthy Command Sequence
- Sort/Print/Re-Sort/Print Sequence
- Length Data Manipulation NeedSteps Used to Record a Short Macro
- Naming the Macro
- Assigning a Keystroke Shortcut
- Storing the Macro
- Avoiding Pitfalls While RecordingHow to Run (Play Back, Execute…) a Macro
- Keystroke Shortcut; Command
- Button in the Quick Access Toolbar
- Worksheet Picture or ClipartVisual Basic
- Quick View–Comments and Commands
- Editing Code
- Viewing Code as You Record a MacroUsing the Step Method to Test a Macro SlowlyUsing IF Logic in a Macro to Create Different Actions Based on Changing ConditionsExtend the Power of Macros to Perform Tasks You Cannot Achieve With Standard Excel® Features
Lorman Education Services - Live and On-Demand Courses
Lorman Education Services is a leading provider of online professional development and corporate training for organizations and individual professionals. For more than 30 years, Lorman has delivered relevant, high-quality, professional-level courses that cover a broad range of business and technical...