Social Networking Tools and Resources: The Legal Principles and Emerging Issues for Employers
Understand potential legal pitfalls of social networking in the workplace and how to implement policies to avoid them.
Over 80% of the U.S. population has a social networking profile. And 70% of employers use social media sites to screen applicants or job candidates. We will cover the potential pitfalls for employers of conducting social media searches on current or potential employees and share what some companies have done to manage those pitfalls. Such strategies include using measured steps when responding to employee social media activities and posts that may or may not be protected by certain federal and state laws. In addition, we will discuss several court opinions and examples of state laws regarding employee use of social media that have recently been issued or passed. This course will also provide a broad look into what issues arise from social networking at the workplace and strategies to manage such activities within legal parameters by using specific policy and application examples.
Who should attend?
This live webinar is designed for
- human resource managers
- personnel managers
- vice presidents
- business owners and managers
- controllers and attorneys.
Overview of Types of Social Networking Tools and Resources, and the Legal Principles and Emerging Issues for Employers
Overview of Laws Impacting Social Networking and Its Effects in the Workplace
- First Amendment
- National Labor Relations Act
- State Off-Duty Conduct Statutes
- Whistle-Blower Statutes
- Anti-Discrimination and Harassment Statutes
- New Privacy and State Law Concerns
Dimensions of Social Networking
- Understanding the Personal and Social Dimensions
- Globalization and the New Social Media Impact
- Creativity, Innovation and Beyond
Developing State-of-the-Art Policies on Social Networking
- Process Considerations in Developing the Polices
- Critical Features of the Policies
- A Model State-of-the-Art Policy
- Policy Implementation Considerations
- Policy Re-Evaluation and Revision
- Following the Strategy Formulation and Strategy Implementation Processes
Application of Legal Framework to Specific Fact Patterns in the Social Networking Context
Summary and the Ever-Evolving Dimensions of Social Networking
Certification / Credits
- You will be able to discuss types of social networking tools and resources.
- You will be able to review dimensions of social networking.
- You will be able to explain developing state of the art policies on social networking.
- You will be able to identify application of legal framework to specific fact patterns in the social networking context.
Contact this provider
Lorman Education Services - Live and On-Demand Courses
Lorman Education Services is a leading provider of online professional development and corporate training for organizations and individual professionals. For more than 30 years, Lorman has delivered relevant, high-quality, professional-level courses that cover a broad range of business and technical...