Improve Your Tax Writing Skills
Learn to communicate more effectively and polish your tax writing skills.
Much of the high-value work performed by tax professionals results in some type of a written document – from a very formal tax research memorandum to a more casual email. However, many tax professionals do not write effectively; and this inability to write well may diminish the perceived value of their research and analysis. The good news is that good writing is not innate but is a learned skill. A key objective of this topic is to demystify the writing process for tax professionals. You will examine how to incorporate the results of your tax research into a standard tax memorandum.
Next, we will explore how to communicate technical information in non-technical terms by modifying the content of the tax memo into a letter to your client. Finally, we will look at the most common communication – email. This material will also include tips and tricks to polish your writing and will address practical writing concerns of the tax professional.
Upcoming start dates
Inquire for more information
Who should attend?
This live webinar is designed for
- tax managers and preparers
- presidents and vice presidents
- directors and controllers.
Building the Case: Why Tax Professionals Need to Write Effectively
- Communicating Your Results
- Good Writing Is Good Thinking
- Increasing the Value ($$$) of Your Work
Writing the Standard Tax Memorandum
- Facts - the Foundation of Your Memo
- Issues - the Focus of Your Research
- Conclusion - Answer the Question Posed in the Issue
- Analysis - Documenting the Logic in Your Conclusion
Writing the Client Letter
- Know Your Audience
- You Recommend, but the Client Decides
- Essentials of the Client Letter
- Who Really Needs This Information?
- Keep It Short
- Your Readers' Friends: The Subject Line and Formatting
Polishing Your Writing
- Sentence Construction
Certification / Credits
- You will be able to define the elements of a tax memorandum.
- You will be able to describe the iterative process of tax research and tax writing.
- You will be able to recognize common errors in grammar and sentence construction.
- You will be able to review your written tax document to ensure it is written appropriately for the intended audience.
Lorman Education Services - Live and On-Demand Courses
Lorman Education Services is a leading provider of online professional development and corporate training for organizations and individual professionals. For more than 30 years, Lorman has delivered relevant, high-quality, professional-level courses that cover a broad range of business and technical...