GSA Lease Negotiations and Due Diligence
Understand the RLP process, negotiating the lease, and dealing with the government as the tenant.
The federal government is the country’s largest tenant by far, if not in the world. In both strong and not-so-strong economic times, the federal government is always in the market for new or replacement space ranging from the most modern office space to simple warehousing requirements. When the commercial real estate market is in the doldrums, the federal government is always still there as a potential tenant. Understanding how to successfully deal with the government and obtain a long-term stream of rental income should be a critical aspect of any prudent lessor’s and investor’s knowledge portfolio.
Who should attend?
This live webinar is designed for
- property managers
- building owners and managers
- real estate professionals
- presidents and vice presidents
- accountants and government officials.
Understanding the RLP and the Lease
- Termination and Option Provisions/No TFC Usually
- Tenant Improvement Allowances
- Geographical Restrictions
- Enhancing Security Requirements/Security Levels/Protection of Building Information as CUI/High-Security Space/Identification of Ownership and Financing Sources/Tenant Agency Refusal to Accept Lessor
- Construction Budgeting
- The GSA Forms – SF 2, SF 1217, SF 1364, SF 3517, SF 3518, etc.
- Notices to Proceed/Substantial Completion/Acceptance of the Space/Certificate of Occupancy
- Tax Adjustment Clause/Full Assessment/Tax Base Year
- Space Requirements, Standard and Otherwise
- Waiver of Restoration
- Operating Costs
- Delays/Force Majeure/Excusable Delays/Liquidated Damages
- Substitution of Tenant Agency
Understanding the RLP/Competitive Selection and Award Process/Sole Source
- The Congressional Prospectus Process
- RLP as Solicitation/RFP
- Award Based on Price/Price Evaluation
- Award Based on Other Factors/Most Advantageous to the Government Determinations
- RLP Defects and Award Challenges/Bid Protest Process/GAO/COFC/Agency-Level
Administering the Lease
- Renewal/Replacement/Interim/Temporary/New Leases
- Keeping the Tenant Agency Happy/Resolving Issues
- Reduction/Withholding/Offset of Rent
- Holding Over/Inverse Condemnation
- Selling the Property/Novating the Lease
- Assignments Under the Assignment of Claims Act
- Claims Under the Contract Disputes Act
- Compliance With GSAR and FAR Requirements
Certification / Credits
- You will be able to describe the RLP and the lease.
- You will be able to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of leasing to the government.
- You will be able to explain the RLP competitive process.
- You will be able to review how to administer the lease.
Contact this provider
Lorman Education Services - Live and On-Demand Courses
Lorman Education Services is a leading provider of online professional development and corporate training for organizations and individual professionals. For more than 30 years, Lorman has delivered relevant, high-quality, professional-level courses that cover a broad range of business and technical...