Ethical Considerations When Representing Family and FriendsLorman Education Services
Ethical Considerations When Representing Family and Friends
No good deed goes unpunished learn ethical considerations when representing family and friends.
It is almost inevitable. At some point in every attorneys career, they will be asked to represent family and friends. Sometimes it is very formal, such as representing a family member or friend as part of their ongoing business operations, or sometimes it is a specific representation, such as the purchase of real estate. And sometimes, it sneaks up on the attorney, being asked for advice and getting sucked in. This course will address some of the many issues that may arise in representing family and friends. The goal is to assist the attorney in knowing if they are, sometimes unknowingly, undertaking representation, making the decision whether or not to represent, and if choosing to do so, how to do so effectively and ethically.
Who should attend?
This live webinar is primarily designed for attorneys. Other legal professionals may also benefit from attending.
Application of Typical Ethics Rules as They Apply to Representation of Family and Friends
Ethics Rules That Particularly Apply When Representing Family and Friends
Issues That May Arise Even When Not Representing Family and Friends
Situations to Be Explored Include the Obvious, Less Obvious, and Much Less Obvious
- Loan to Lawyer
- Estate Planning Documents, Such as a Will Benefiting the Lawyer
- Estate Planning Document to Benefit Someone Lawyer Cares About
- Loan to Someone Lawyer Cares About to Benefit
Much Less Obvious
- Aunt Sally Is Happy You Helped Cousin Joe; Aunt Sally Makes It up to You
- Not My Area of Expertise - In the Movie "My Cousin Vinny," Vincent Gambini, a Very Recent Law School Graduate, Finds Himself Representing Family Members Charged With Murdering a Convenience Store Worker; What Was One of the Reasons Why He Was Hired? He Was Free; So, (Spoiler Alert), He Got a Good Result; Yet, as a Practical Matter, He Was Practicing Law Outside His Home
- Jurisdiction, in an Area of Law for Which He Had Little Knowledge, No Experience, and It Was a Jury Trial to Boot
Certification / Credits
Credits: CLE, NALA
About Lorman Education Services
Lorman Education Services - Live and On-Demand Courses
Lorman Education Services is a leading provider of online professional development and corporate training for organizations and individual professionals. For more than 30 years, Lorman has delivered relevant, high-quality, professional-level courses that cover a broad range of business and technical...
Lorman Education Services
No reviews available
Need help with your search?
findcourses.com offers a free consultancy service to help compare training for you and your team