Employment Law Update in Nevada
Get insider information on the latest, news breaking developments in Nevada’s employment law. Presented by one of Nevada’s leading Plaintiff class action labor law firms, Mr. Thierman, will present his firm’s assessment of the potential targets of these new developments—so that employers may change policies to avoid liability and employees may bring claims against those employers who do not. For example, the practical application of these developments should tell the labor law practitioner how to write an enforceable arbitration clause with a valid class action waiver, and advise employee advocate how to attack such a clause when its not effectively drafted. Another example of the practical “take away” knowledge to be gleaned from this topic is the how to draft a lawful tip pooling agreement in a state that, like Nevada, does not allow a tip credit from the minimum wage anyway. For those who practice in California as well, the discussion will cover the special situation where the federal tip pooling regulations conflict with the California state regulations. There will be a compare and contrast between the state of federal law on independent contractors and the false sense of security obtained from the safe harbor requirements of SB 224. Finally, a discussion of the private right of action doctrine under NRS Chapter 608, and recent developments like Evans v. Walmart. Whether employer or employee side, these are the topics you need to know.
Who should attend?
- Arbitration and Class Actions
- The FAA and the Norris Laguardia Act/ National Labor Relations Act
- Morris v. Ernst & Young, LLP, No. 13-16599, 2016 WL 4433080 (9th Cir. Aug. 22, 2016)–But see, footnote 4- "In contrast, there was no § 8 violation in Johnmohammadi v. Bloomingdale's, Inc. because the employee there could have opted out of the individual dispute resolution agreement and chose not to. 755 F.3d 1072, 1076 (9th Cir. 2014)."
- Lewis v. Epic Sys. Corp., __ F.3D __, 2016 Wl 3029464 (7th Cir. May 26, 2016)Nevada's Law of Independent Contractors- Is SB 224 a Trap for the UnwaryTip Pooling in Nevada
- Oregon Rest. and Lodging Association v. Perez and Cesarz v. WynnWage and Hour Developments
- Constitutional Minimum Wages–Thomas v. Yellow Cab's Unresolved Issues- Retroactivity? Statute of Limitations?–Dual Rate– Providing Health Insurance
- Private Right of Action–Wages While Employed– Csomos v. Venetian or Descutner v. Newmont USA–Wages After Termination and Waiting Penalties--- Evans v. Walmart
Lorman Education Services - Live and On-Demand Courses
Lorman Education Services is a leading provider of online professional development and corporate training for organizations and individual professionals. For more than 30 years, Lorman has delivered relevant, high-quality, professional-level courses that cover a broad range of business and technical...