Do's and Don'ts for Internal Investigations of Employment Issues
Learn how to calculate operating expenses and find out which expenses can and cannot be passed through to tenants. A small earthquake occurs five miles from your company’s office, causing minor structural damage at the office building leased by your company. When auditing your operating expense statement, you see a charge in the amount of $30,000 for structural repairs. You are the owner of a large warehouse. A new law is passed requiring certain retrofitting. After spending $200,000 on the retrofitting and including a portion of the cost as part of operating expenses, you receive a letter from your largest tenant stating that such cost is not a permitted pass through and that they will not pay you for the charge. All of the above examples involve the pass through of operating expenses. This topic will help you understand the different ways operating expenses are calculated, what charges are typically passed through to tenant, and which charges are limited, mechanisms for controlling the pass through of charges, and the methods of collecting and auditing such charges. As demonstrated above, failure to properly understand what expenses are to be passed through to a tenant and which are the responsibility of the landlord can cause unexpected expenses or responsibilities that can have dire financial effects.
Who should attend?
- Definition of Terms
- Different Kinds of Leases (Gross, Modified Gross, Net, and Triple-Net)
- What Are CAM Charges If Lease Is Silent?
- Pro Rata Share of CAM ChargesCommon Included and Excluded CAM Charges
- Landlord and Tenant Reasons for Defending and Opposing CAM Charges
- Examples of Common Included CAM Charges
- Examples of Common Excluded CAM Charges
- Capital Improvements and Insurance Deductibles
- Management Fees
- Real Estate TaxesCAM CapsLandlord Collection of CAM ChargesTenant's Audit RightsWho Pays HVAC ChargesNew CAM Charges, Including Landlord Green Initiatives
Contact this provider
Lorman Education Services - Live and On-Demand Courses
Lorman Education Services is a leading provider of online professional development and corporate training for organizations and individual professionals. For more than 30 years, Lorman has delivered relevant, high-quality, professional-level courses that cover a broad range of business and technical...