Concrete Materials and Mix Development Fundamentals
Understand how the concrete mixture design impacts the design, construction, and performance of a structure.
Concrete is frequently viewed as a simple construction material that is specified primarily based on strength. However, concrete is actually a complicated heterogeneous material that must be specified, designed, and proportioned correctly to perform as intended by owners, engineers, and architects over the service life of the structure. Improper mix development and design are responsible for delays and claims on construction projects around the country.
This topic is intended to educate viewers on the basics of concrete materials and mix development. This information will be of benefit for all parties involved with concrete construction including, engineers, architects, contractors, subcontractors, design professionals, government administrators, suppliers, and owners/building managers.
Review the basic ingredients of a concrete mix design, including mineral and chemical admixtures that are routinely used to change the performance characteristics of concrete. This material will explain how to address durability and desired performance characteristics in the development of concrete mixture proportions. This information is critical for parties involved in concrete construction so they can understand how the concrete mixture design impacts the design, construction, and performance of a structure.
Upcoming start dates
Inquire for more information
Who should attend?
This live webinar is designed for
- design professionals
- government administrators
- suppliers and anyone involved in concrete construction.
Concrete Basic Ingredients
- Set Accelerators/Set Retarders
- Corrosion Inhibitors
- Specialty Admixtures
- Cementitious Materials
- Pozzolanic Materials
- Pozzolanic/Cementitious Materials
- Finely Ground Inert Minerals
- Material-Related Durability
- Performance-Related Durability
Proportioning Concrete Mixtures
- Selection of Materials
- Selection of Proportions
- Weighing/Batching of Materials
Certification / Credits
- You will be able to define the roles and characteristics of basic concrete ingredients.
- You will be able to describe the purpose of different chemical and mineral admixtures and understand their effect on concrete performance.
- You will be able to identify durability design requirements that should be incorporated into the development of a concrete specification or mix design.
- You will be able to discuss how performance characteristics affect concrete mixture proportioning and how to address them in notes and specifications.
Contact this provider
Lorman Education Services - Live and On-Demand Courses
Lorman Education Services is a leading provider of online professional development and corporate training for organizations and individual professionals. For more than 30 years, Lorman has delivered relevant, high-quality, professional-level courses that cover a broad range of business and technical...