Fundamentals of International Oil and Gas Contract Law
For professionals operating in the oil & gas sector, practical knowledge of the legal frameworks governing oil & gas activities is essential. This distance learning course offers participants a full and detailed overview of oil & gas international contracts law and how these regulations apply to roles and activities in the oil & gas sector.
In developing participants' understanding of the legal contexts of international oil & gas, the course will cover the complex web of relevant laws, regulations and frameworks. participants will complete the course with a basic understanding of oil & gas contracts law, with consideration for negotiations and all stages of the oil & gas business.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
This training course has been designed for professionals working in the oil & gas industry. Suitable candidates may include, but are not limited to:
- Commercial managers
- Engineers and technicians
- Legal professionals working with the oil and gas sector
- Contract managers and analysts
- Insurance and risk managers
- Government advisors, policy makers, economists and regulators.
Delivered entirely online, this training course will cover the following topics:
Introduction to Contract Law and Background to the Oil and Gas Industry
• The legal framework and contract law• Key oil and gas terminology• Oil and gas industry structure• Oil and gas contract fundamentals and legal principles• Territorial water, continental shelf and United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea
Contracting in the Upstream Sector: Ownership and Licensing
• Contracting in the upstream sector• Agreement with resource holders• Grant of rights by resource holder• Licensing regimes
Contracting in the Upstream Sector: Production Sharing Agreements and Unitisation
• Production Sharing Agreements (PSAs)• Agreements between co-ventures • Unitisation and Unit Operating Agreements (UUOAs)• Transboundary unitisation
Agreements between Co-ventures, and between Suppliers and Contractors
• Joint Operating Agreements (JOAs)• Operators• Operating committee• Sole risk and non-consent provisions• Agreements with suppliers and contracts
Contracting in the Downstream: Sales and Transportation of Oil and Gas
• Transportation agreements• Transporting oil and gas: getting it to market• Contractual matrix for the transportation of petroleum• Pipelines and transportation agreements• Transhipment: transportation by ship• Sale agreements• Comparison and distinctions between supply and depletion contracts• Contents of a typical GSA or LNG SPA• Gas quantities and nominations• Take or pay obligations of the buyer• Maintenance of facilities• Specification of the gas• Force majeure, termination, dispute settlement• Contract pricing of gas
Dispute Resolution in Oil and Gas Contracts
• Adjudication of oil and gas disputes• International arbitration of oil and gas disputes• Arbitration as a legal concept of dispute resolution• Expert Determination (ED) in the oil and gas industry• Mediation• Negotiation of oil and gas disputes
The cost of this distance learning training course is £1,999 + VAT per participant.
For those who qualify, early bird discounts may apply.
Certification / Credits
This training course results in 21 CPD or 2.2 CEU units.
Contact this provider
Lloyd's Maritime Academy
Lloyd’s Maritime Academy was born from Lloyd’s List. Lloyd’s Maritime Academy is the trusted brand for professional development, working with leading academic and industry bodies to provide accredited education and training where it is much needed.We are stepping up investment...