United States Health Policy
Health care in America can be complicated. Most Americans might not fully understand the basics of the U.S. health care system or health care policies such as the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Featuring some of the nation’s foremost teachers and thought leaders, this course provides students with a basic and thorough understanding of the U.S. health care system focusing on access, quality of care, and costs. Students will learn how the system is structured, how care is organized, delivered, and financed, and the role of the Affordable Care Act in the health care system. Students will understand the U.S. health policy-making structure process at the federal, state, and local levels. Students who complete this course will be able to interpret current controversies around US health policy and develop informed opinions on potential future policy developments.
Please note that the content in this course was created prior to the implementation of the ACA.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
Inside National Health Reform, by the University of California Press and the Milbank Fund published in 2011
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Harvard University, a partner institute of EdX.
1-4 hours per week
- Verified Track -$128.97
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- How the U.S. health care system is organized, financed, and governed
- How to give examples of key system stakeholders and participants, public and private
- How to describe the U.S. health care system's essential building blocks, including Medicare, Medicaid, private health insurance, medical care delivery, pharmaceuticals, long-term care, mental health, oral health, and public health
- Interpret contemporary policy controversies pertaining to each key U.S. health care system building block
- Understand the basic components of the Affordable Care Act
- Identify challenges associated with reforming the U.S. health care system
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...