Multidisciplinary Research Methods for Engineers
The use of data to understand phenomena and evaluate designs and interventions in different disciplines is increasingly evident. As a result, engineers and other applied scientists frequently find themselves needing to collaborate in multidisciplinary fields when carrying out research to remain innovative.
This course will help you to become a successful multidisciplinary researcher in industry, non-profit, or academia, and be more efficient and successful as you will know where the pitfalls are! This course explains the fundamentals on how to plan and carry out state-of-the-art qualitative and quantitative research in different phases of an innovation or research project.
The course has been designed by a team of experienced, multidisciplinary researchers in education, engineering and research methodologies and will also feature experts in the field of research methodologies as guest lecturers. In the course you will be working towards creating a project plan for your research, giving you a head-start in your research project.
The interuniversity, interdisciplinary Leiden-Delft-Erasmus Center for Education and Learning is a leader in multidisciplinary technological research and innovation projects. Learning from leading experts in the field you will learn to apply the best practices in your own context.
Upcoming start dates
- Self-paced Online
Who should attend?
This course is aimed at new and aspiring researchers with a background in Engineering and other STEM related disciplines who are working or going to work in multidisciplinary environments who want to learn more about this type of research. There are no prerequisites.
Introduction to research
- What constitutes multidisciplinary scientific research and how is it used
- Structure of research: Scientific method and engineering design cycle
- Language of research
- What to research and how to find out more
- What is a research objective and a research question
- How to formulate a research objective and a research question?
Phases and methods of scientific research
- Research questions and hypotheses
- Desktop research, literature study
- Theoretical modeling and conceptual frameworks
- Experimental/Study design
- Data collection
- Evaluation, validation and verification
- Research ethics and human resource research ethics
Research method selection and study design
Understand and select the appropriate method for a research question in terms of:
- Qualitative methods
- Quantitative methods
- Mixed method approaches
- Formative and summative evaluation studies
Data collection and analysis
- Data collection and data management
- Data analysis (qualitative and quantitative)
- Data interpretation
- How to validate and verify data
Research management, documentation and publishing
- How to report research results
- Reporting multidisciplinary work
- Reporting in different disciplines
- Project management
- Scientific publishing including open science
Verified certificate only: Research plan writing
- Writing a project plan based on a multidisciplinary research case where students can choose from which discipline they approach the problem.
Course delivery details
This course is offered through The Georgia Institute of Technology, a partner institute of EdX.
4-6 hours per week
- Verified Track -$99
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- describe what multidisciplinary research is and its associated challenges and opportunities in different disciplines.
- set up each phase of scientific research: the literature study, the theoretical and conceptual frameworks, the experimental and study design, the choice of research methods and data collection, the data analyses and the interpretation, validation and verification of the results and discussions of the outcome.
- understand and select the appropriate methods for a research question in terms of qualitative, quantitative and mixed methods including formative and summative evaluation studies.
- explain and the importance of research ethics, data management and guidelines for human research ethics in your research design and practice.
- write a research plan for a multidisciplinary case, including formulating a research objective and research questions, research set up, planning and reflection.
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...