Cooperatives and Producer Companies
This course is about cooperative business, cooperative movement, cooperative organization, cooperative model, types of cooperatives, and cooperative development. In the beginning, the concept of a cooperative is explained and how it is different from an investor owned company. We also explain why this form of organization is required for producers in the dairy, agriculture, weaver artisan and other sectors of the economy.
We then discuss the basic principles of a cooperative and why they evolved. These principles were enunciated by the International Cooperative Alliance (ICA) of all countries. We provide a brief overview of the success of cooperatives in different countries. We discuss some issues in regulation, and the legal and constitutional issues in India. We also discuss how genuine, member owned FPOs or cooperatives can revitalize agriculture in India which still employs over 50% of the population. There are some basic issues related to finances. These include acquiring the initial capital to set up FPOs or cooperatives that are independent of outside control, whether from the Government or the NGOs. Working capital is another important issue for non-dairy, seasonal crops. Distribution of profits is different from the shareholder companies.
There are organizational issues regarding the structure and Governance of cooperatives.
Upcoming start dates
Inquire for more information
- Virtual Classroom
Who should attend?
- Defining a Cooperative
- Cooperative Principles
- What is not a Cooperative?
- A Conversation
- Cooperatives outside India
- Why do we need Cooperatives?
- Introduction to Forming Cooperatives
- Role of NGOs
- Challenges faced by NGOs
- Pool and Sell Model of Forming Cooperatives
- Quality Assessment of the Produce
- Promoting Agency and the Cooperative
- Initial Operations for Promoting Cooperatives
- Financing a Cooperative
- Suggestions for a Better Functioning Cooperative
- Mistakes to be Avoided for a Better Functioning Cooperative
- Marketing and Organizational Framework for a Cooperative
- Pool, Process, Store and Sell Model
- The Way Forward
Course delivery details
This course is offered through Indian Institute of Management Bangalore, a partner institute of EdX.
2-3 hours per week
- Verified Track -$49
- Audit Track - Free
Certification / Credits
What you'll learn
- What is a cooperative?
- How can cooperatives be set up successfully?
- Understanding why Indian cooperatives have not done well in general.
- How can the cooperative situation in India be changed?
- Tips on financing the genuine FPOs
Contact this provider
edX For Business helps leading companies upskill their labor forces by making the world’s greatest educational resources available to learners across a wide variety of in-demand fields. edX For Business delivers high-quality corporate eLearning to train and engage your employees...