From Resilience to Antifragility: Perspectives from Brain Science
The most recent pandemic has materially changed how people think, feel and live. For example, in a recent COVID-19 survey, two-thirds of people were either anxious or depressed and 80% of them said they were distressed. Many businesses and leaders are in “survival” mode, preoccupied with defending their employees and companies from potentially disastrous financial consequences. In this new psychological, social and financial environment, how can leaders distinguish themselves and inspire their teams and help their businesses to succeed and thrive?
As a leader, you have to do more than navigate and survive this new level of uncertainty. The winners will find new ways to understand and embrace this new reality and become “antifragile.” The concept of antifragility is learning how to thrive in disorder. It goes beyond our typical notions of resilience – raising our defenses and ability to withstand conditions.
The classic example of antifragility is Hydra, a Greek mythological creature that has numerous heads. When one is cut off, two grow back in its place. When you are antifragile, you defy the norm:
- Uncertainty inspires you to grow
- You learn to love and thrive in disorder
- The resilient resists shocks and stays the same; the antifragile gets better.
While some leaders believe that they should throw themselves into sleepless nights and problem-solving, there is evidence to suggest that this kind of obsessive (as opposed to harmonious) passion will eventually lead to burnout. Now is the time to prevent physical and emotional exhaustion so that you can guide your company and team to long-term success.
Upcoming start dates
Inquire for more information
- Self-paced Online
This series is ready to be deployed for all levels at your organization; in small or large cohorts. Each session in the series is interactive and includes leading-edge research from NeuroBusiness Group and their subject matter experts tailored to your context. Each virtual session is 90-120 minutes in duration.
- Virtual Session 1 – Handling the Pandemic Today, and Why It’s Different
- Virtual Session 2 – Building & Scaling Individual and Organizational Pandemic Antifragility
- Virtual Session 3 – Building Body Armor
- Virtual Session 4 – Eating Well During Stressful Times
- Virtual Session 5 – Managing Cabin Fever and Social Distancing
- Virtual Session 6 – Elevating Creativity in the New Workplace
- Virtual Session 7 – How to Move from Surviving to Thriving in this Disorder
- Virtual Session 8 – A Day in the Life of a Thriver: Practices, Routines and Results
Depends on cohort size
Certification / Credits
This virtual offering is delivered as a series and is designed as a personal journey to becoming antifragile. We suggest taking all eight sessions as designed, but we’re open to discussing a different path if it helps your leaders to get started.
- Evaluate individual fears and learn brain-based methods for a new mental playbook for leaders and organizations during pandemics and future emergencies.
- Devise and commit to a psychological and physical plan to protect your body and more effectively manage time and strategic goals during this stressful period.
- Commit to at least three proactive nutritional steps to optimize your physicality, thinking and emotions.
- Learn relationship strategies to optimize team cohesion and effectiveness at a time when people are not emotionally and physically at their best, and how to sustain cohesion when they come together again.
- Review brain-based methods to elevate creativity and collective problem-solving and effectively apply them during this time against a range of different types of challenges.
- Connect antifragile mindset, principles, and practices to elevate your daily leadership and help achieve your team’s strategic goals.
Why choose Duke CE?
Training delivered in over 80 countries
1500 global educators & 350,000+ leaders engaged
9500+ programs completed
Contact this provider
Duke Corporate Education
Part of Duke University, Duke Corporate Education (Duke CE) is the premier global provider of leadership solutions in context. We are a blend of a business and university — but distinct from both. From the business world, we bring an outcomes-driven focus...