From Resilience to Antifragility: Perspectives from Brain Science
The most recent pandemic has materially changed how people think, feel and live. For example, in a recent COVID-19 survey, two-thirds of people were either anxious or depressed and 80% of them said they were distressed. Many businesses and leaders are in “survival” mode, preoccupied with defending their employees and companies from potentially disastrous financial consequences1. In this new psychological, social and financial environment, how can leaders distinguish themselves and inspire their teams and help their businesses to succeed and thrive?
As a leader, you have to do more than navigate and survive this new level of uncertainty. The winners will find new ways to understand and embrace this new reality and become “antifragile”. The concept of antifragility is learning how to thrive in disorder. It goes beyond our typical notions of resilience- raising our defenses and ability to withstand conditions.
The classic example of antifragility is Hydra, a Greek mythological creature that has numerous heads. When one is cut off, two grow back in its place. When you are antifragile, you defy the norm:
- Uncertainty inspires you to grow
- You learn to love and thrive in disorder
- The resilient resists shocks and stays the same; the antifragile gets better.
While some leaders believe that they should throw themselves into sleepless nights and problem-solving, there is evidence to suggest that this kind of obsessive (as opposed to harmonious) passion will eventually lead to burnout. Now is the time to prevent physical and emotional exhaustion so that you can guide your company and team to long-term success.
Upcoming start dates
Inquire for more information
- Webinar 1 – Handling the Pandemic Today, and Why Its Different
- Webinar 2 – Building & Scaling Individual and Organizational Pandemic Antifragility
- Webinar 3 – Building Body Armor
- Webinar 4 – Eating Well During Stressful Times
- Webinar 5 – Managing Cabin Fever and Social Distancing
- Webinar 6 – Elevating Creativity in the New Workplace
- Webinar 7 – How to Move from Surviving to Thriving in this Disorder
- Webinar 8 – A Day in the Life of a Thriver: Practices, Routines and Results
Depends on client need
Why choose Duke CE?
Training delivered in over 80 countries
1500 global educators & 350,000+ leaders engaged
9500+ programs completed
Contact this provider
Duke Corporate Education
Part of Duke University, Duke Corporate Education (Duke CE) is the premier global provider of leadership solutions in context. We are a blend of a business and university — but distinct from both. From the business world, we bring an outcomes-driven focus...