BD-301B: BlueDragon Root Cause Analysis Certification Course for Practitioners (Manufacturing)DLE Technical Services, LLC
BD-301B: BlueDragon Root Cause Analysis Certification Course for Practitioners (Manufacturing)
According to the World Economic Forum, the top two skills that humans need to thrive in the fourth industrial revolution (i.e. the age of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence), are “Critical Thinking” and “Complex Problem Solving.” BlueDragon is a complex problem solving method that is founded on developing the student’s critical thinking skills, coupled with innovative “Lean” and “Agile” tools and techniques that help to quickly and accurately identify the root causes and contributing factors that are causing human performance issues, equipment malfunctions and organizational and programmatic breakdowns.
BlueDragon is accurate, scalable, flexible, and efficient, providing a framework that drives a highly disciplined and organized approach to gathering and analyzing data, developing lines of inquiry and conducting rigorous causal analysis to identify root causes and contributing factors in the most efficient manner. BlueDragon cuts many man-weeks from traditional root cause analyses and accident investigations. The process is also structured to eliminate much of the bias and undue influence that often plagues such analyses, making for repeatable results, and can be easily scaled down to conduct apparent cause evaluations or simple causal analyses. BlueDragon can also be used proactively to identify root causes before they cause significant events.
BlueDragon was developed and refined by its creator after more than 30 years as a root cause practitioner in the commercial nuclear power industry and the Federal Government. The method is simple to understand (not simplistic by design), and the workshops demystify root cause analysis and clear up many misconceptions about how root causes are identified. The workshops are conducted using an MBA approach with 15 case studies to allow participants to develop proficiency using critical thinking tools and the Lean and Agile techniques of the BlueDragon Complex Problem Solving Engine. BlueDragon does not require the use of proprietary software, making it affordable and arguably the most cost-effective method on the market.
Source: World Economic Forum, Future of Jobs Report, 2016; based on a survey of business leaders from major global employers.
Who should attend?
- Management of all levels at manufacturing sites
- Lean Six Sigma practitioners, Master Black Belts, Black Belts, Green Belts
- Root Cause & Apparent Cause Event investigators
- Facility/Operations managers
- Safety Management
- Performance Improvement personnel
- Corrective Action Program managers
- Quality & Oversight Dept. personnel
- Environmental Health & Safety personnel
- Regulatory & Stakeholder Interface personnel
- Project Management professionals (27 credit hours)
BlueDragon workshops demystify key aspects of root cause analysis, including: why too often root cause analyses fall short; how the typical approach to root cause analyses inserts so much bias that the results are not repeatable; why organizations are reluctant to embark on root cause analysis; and, how root cause is seldom used proactively to identify the root causes of negative trends before they cause significant events.
BD-301 workshops are required training for certification as a Root Cause Practitioner. BlueDragon workshops are taught using a Harvard MBA approach: 15 case studies of increasing difficulty are presented, to allow participants to practice critical thinking and develop proficiency using the BlueDragon Complex Problem Solving Engine.
Our workshops do not require any proprietary software to buy. We provide all of the templates for free at the end of the course. We focus on developing your skills so you can start practicing what you learned the minute you leave the course, and arm you with the tools you need to succeed.
Our participants have begun BlueDragon root cause analyses on issues with significant ramifications the day after they completed workshop.
3-Day Workshop Content
INTRODUCTION TO ROOT CAUSE ANALYSIS
- The Importance of Root Cause Analysis
- Regulations that Drive Root Cause Analysis
- Introduction to Continuous Improvement
- Standard Definitions
- Common Types of Causal Factors
- Standard Problem Solving Methods
- Case Study #01: Joe Has an Accident
INTRODUCTION TO BlueDragon®
- Introduction to Critical Thinking
- The BlueDragon® Root Cause Analysis Approach
- The BlueDragon® Complex Problem Solving Engine
- Data Analysis
- Developing Lines of Inquiry
- Socratic Questioning
- Cause and Effect Relationships
- Anatomy of a Root Cause and How We Find Them
- Lean and Agile Concepts for Root Cause Analysis
- Case Study #02: Joe Has an Accident – Part 2
GATHERING DATA & DEFINING THE PROBLEM
- Fact Finding Sessions
- Event Time Lines
- Case Study #03: Lines of Inquiry From Time Lines
- Establishing Lean Root Cause Teams
- Creating the Problem Statement
- Continual Data Gathering & Processing
- Gathering Documents & Record Reviews
- Gathering References & Analyzing the Barriers
- Case Study #04: Barrier Analysis
- Replace Interviews With Facilitated Causal Analysis
- Determining the Extent of Condition
- Case Study #05: Joe vs. the Miter Saw
- Affinity Diagrams
- Case Study #06: Affinity Diagrams
- Pareto Charts
- Case Study #07: Pareto Charts
- Process Mapping
- Why is Anyone Still Using the Fishbone Diagram?
- Case Study #8: The Babysitter
- Fault Tree Analysis
- Case Study #09: Fault Tree – Generator Did Not Start
- Success Trees
- Risk Trees
- Case Study #10: Success Trees & Risk Trees
- Event & Causal Factors (E&CF) Charts
- Analyzing Human Performance & Culture
- Case Study #11: Diagnosing Error Precursors
- Diagnosing Organizational & Programmatic (O&P) Weaknesses
- Case Study #12: Sally Falls off the Ladder
IDENTIFYING AND VALIDATING ROOT CAUSES
- Root Causes vs. Apparent Causes
- Identifying Root Causes
- Validating Root Causes
- Extent of Cause Reviews
CORRECTIVE ACTIONS TO PREVENT RECURRENCE AND MISTAKE PROOFING
- Criteria for Effective Corrective Actions
- Introduction to Mistake Proofing
- Case Study #13: Mistake Proofing
- Decision-Making Matrix
- Case Study #14: Decision-Making Matrix
- T-Matrix for Complex Problems and Solutions
- Effectiveness Reviews
ROOT CAUSE REPORTS & COMMUNICATING RESULTS
- Typical Root Cause Report Outline
- Communicating Results to Management
- Management Oversight of RCAs
- Communicating with Regulators
LOCK IN THE GAINS & CELEBRATE
- Case Study #15 – RCA of an Incident at a HF Plant
DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY (DOE) CAUSAL ANALYSIS TREE (FOR DOE CLIENTS)
Use of the DOE Causal Analysis Tree
Certification / Credits
Participants receive a Certificate of Completion:
"BlueDragon Critical Thinking and Complex Problem Solving Workshop for Root Cause and Apparent Cause Practitioners"
Completion of this course also awards 27 PDUs for Project Management Professionals*.
*DLE Technical Services is a Registered Education Provider for the Project Management Institute since 2014.
DLE Technical Services, LLC
DLE Technical Services, LLC was established in 2006 and is certified by VetBiz as a Veteran Owned Small Business (VOSB). DLE is a Prime Contractor for the Department of Energy (DOE), providing technical support to DOE nuclear project sites, Uranium...
Have a question about this course? Fill out this form and the provider will get in touch with you shortly
No reviews available
Need help with your search?
findcourses.com offers a free consultancy service to help compare training for you and your team