Telling Stories with Data
Good decisions are made when executives and managers understand the story behind complex data. This one-day, highly interactive, experience-based, facilitated workshop focuses on how to make data more concise, impactful, and compelling to the intended audience through storytelling.
Prior to class, participants complete a pre-work assignment using a real-world data set. Participants will either use a data set provided or choose a data set from their work environment and prepare a five-minute presentation using a slide deck of up to four slides and a narrative memo that clearly explains what conclusions they are attempting to convey. During the workshop, each participant will present his or her “data story” and receive feedback from the instructor and the other participants on how to improve the “data story.” Then, using the skills acquired in the workshop, each participant will create an improved presentation.
The following text book will be used in support of the course: Cole Nussbaumer Knaflic, Storytelling with Data: A Data Visualization Guide for Business Professionals. Wiley, October, 2015.
Upcoming start dates
Inquire for more information
- United States of America
Inquire for more information
- Virtual Classroom
Who should attend?
This course is designed to benefit anyone who is required to present complex and/or technical data to executives, managers, decision makers, or stakeholders in a manner that the intended audience can clearly understand.
- Present data in a more concise, impactful, and compelling manner to your intended audience through storytelling.
- Analyze your audience and choose the appropriate ways to present your data.
- Present a real-world data set during the course and receive feedback from peers and the instructor.
- Develop concise slides, compelling storylines, and convincing memos and talking points.
Prior to the course, participants will be asked to read one chapter from the course textbook and prepare a short slide presentation to be developed and improved upon during class.
Module 1: Introduction and Overview
- Workshop Objectives and Agenda
Module 2: Data Analysis and Visual Concepts
- Analyzing the Audience
- Choosing Appropriate Chart Types
- Creating Charts in Microsoft Excel
- Understanding Different Data Sets
- Working with Proportions, Time-Series, and Geographical Data
- Organizing Data in Charts
- Summarizing Data
Module 3: Prework Assignment Presentations
- Present Slide Deck and Narrative of Chosen Data Set
- Receive Feedback from Participants and Instructor
Module 4: Presentation of Data
- Drafting Talking Points
- Writing Compelling Storylines at the Right Level
- Developing Concise Slides
- Crafting Convincing Memos and Talking Points
Module 5: Best Practices and Examples
- Practice Applying Concepts and Improving
- Building Powerful Visuals That Tell a Story
- Improve Prework Slide Deck
- Walk-Through of Revised Slide Decks
Course delivery details
This course is delivered in the live virtual classroom, traditional classroom or onsite. To inquire, contact Corporate Education Group via the information request form.
Inquire for pricing.
Contact this provider
CORPORATE EDUCATION GROUP
Corporate Education Group (CEG) is a premier provider of talent development solutions. Since 1987, CEG has collaborated with clients to unlock business value by delivering talent strategies and development solutions that align with targeted business goals to make your workforce...