Constructive Negotiation: Building Agreements that Work
Whether one is negotiating with a colleague, a supplier, a customer, or a partner in business, skills in negotiation are critical tools in finding the best outcome for everyone involved. Successful negotiators know how to manage negotiations through several phases as well as the proper techniques to use in each phase. They know what their own needs are and how to fulfil them and they also recognize the needs of the other parties involved. Most of all, these negotiators know the value of analyzing levels of trust, power, and the importance of the relationship before deciding on their approach.
Barnes & Conti Associates have developed Constructive Negotiation: Building Agreements That Work, to teach participants how to think about, plan for, and implement any negotiation ranging from friendly to tough. They will learn the structure of a negotiation on all levels and explore underlying needs, learn ideas for generating creative options, and choose appropriate tactics for formal and informal negotiations. Participants will have the opportunity to work on any upcoming negotiations that they have and will gain the skills and confidence they need to be expert negotiators.
Constructive Negotiation: Building Agreements that Work is available virtually as one of our “Learning Journeys." Fill out the information request form to learn more.
Upcoming start dates
Inquire for information
Inquire for information
Who should attend?
This course is intended for:
- Individuals responsible for working with customers
- Service providers
- Any individuals involved in internal negotiation about priorities and resources.
What is Negotiation?
- Introduction to key definitions and concepts
- Identification of real negotiation opportunities for later practice
- Multiparty benchmark exercise
- Review of benchmark exercise according to key concepts
- Presentation of process model
- Review of prework
Negotiation Practice: Managing the Process:
- Short exercises to develop awareness of how to manage the negotiating process
Understanding Needs and Options:
- Presentation and exercises for eliciting needs and developing options to meet them
Tactical Attitude and Tactical Choices:
- Presentation and exercise for selecting a tactical approach
- Application of concepts to a realistic negotiation situation
- In-depth discussion and practice in making tactical decisions
Negotiation Practice: Phases and Milestones:
- Experience in managing all phases and tasks involved in a negotiation
Planning and Implementing a Negotiation:
- Introduction to and implementation of a negotiation planning process
- Putting it all together in a realistic negotiation situation
- Debrief lessons learned
- Applying knowledge to informal negotiation opportunities
Dealing with Unconstructive Tactics:
- Practice in moving others toward a more constructive approach
- Creation of an application plan for an upcoming negotiation
Course delivery details
This workshop can be delivered either in a traditional classroom setting, typically over one or two days for up to 24 participants, or as an interactive Virtual Learning Journey over the course of two or three 2.5 hour sessions. Both include prework, live sessions with skill practice, discussion and feedback, fieldwork and resources for continuous learning and reinforcement. The Learning Journey can be customized to meet the needs and business objectives of your organization.
Contact Barnes & Conti for information on price
Certification / Credits
You will learn a model for negotiation, identify needs for all parties, choose appropriate tactics, and prepare for an upcoming negotiation.
Contact this provider
Bring Over 30 Years of Expertise to Your Organization with Barnes & Conti Associates
Barnes & Conti Associates believe that a great idea can change the world. That’s why they have spent over 30 years training people in how to have their ideas heard and implemented. They are an organization that excels in leadership...