Introduction to Measurement Uncertainty - 2-day classroom course
This instructor-led classroom course on the fundamentals of measurement uncertainty is held by the American Society for Quality and accredited for 1.5 CEU hours. Participants will learn a practical approach to measurement uncertainty (MU) applications, based on fundamental practices. Instructors will delve into MU for both testing and calibration laboratories and give participants a solid understanding of the steps required, accepted practices, and the types of uncertainties that need to be considered by an accredited laboratory.
This highly practical training will help participants understand the importance of Measurement Uncertainties (MUs) and their marketplace impacts on tests and measurements. Attendees will be equipped with the tools and techniques to calculate best measurement capabilities.
Who should attend?
This course has been developed for laboratory management or technical staff responsible for the review of uncertainties and the calculation of uncertainties, assessors, and consultants for organizations seeking or maintaining accreditation to ISO/IEC 17025.
It is recommended that attendees have had exposure to some uncertainty budgets and have a basic understanding of Microsoft Excel. Attendees are encouraged to bring their own examples.
- Day 1
- Hand out and review course material
- Welcome, introductions, goal setting
- Definitions and acronyms
- Key documents including ISO and ILAC
- Type A and Type B factors
- Root sum squaring
- Uncertainty software options
- Expressing measurement results and uncertainties
- Exercises for combining error terms, significant digits, rounding numbers, NIST 811 formatting, mean/median/mode
- Excel calculations and regression equations
- Example uncertainty budgets and calculations
- Uncertainty auditing tips
- Day 2
- Accreditation scopes and uncertainties
- CMC vs. MU vs. Z-540 uncertainties
- Uncertainty budget fundamentals
- Distribution factors in budgets
- Uncertainty guidance documents including accreditation body and ILAC
- Testing uncertainty categories
- Review of CITAC guide for testing uncertainties
- Control charting and repeatability studies
- Guard banding
- Alternatives to GUM uncertainties
- Attendee uncertainty troubleshooting
- Uncertainty and traceability
- Uncertainty and proficiency testing
- Exercise to create an uncertainty SOP
ASQ members pay the Early Bird price of $745 through 10/13/19.
In addition to scheduled dates, this course can be delivered as an in-company training for your staff. Request information to learn the details.
Certification / Credits
This course has been accredited for:
- CEU Hours: 1.5
- ASQ RU: 1.5
Participants will leave this course equipped to:
- Understand the need for measurement uncertainty
- Examine international practices and practical statistics
- Understand uncertainties and budgets
- Understand and calculate specific examples for measurement uncertainty
ASQ - American Society for Quality - Professional Training Courses & Certification
ASQ (American Society for Quality) is an international community of individuals committed to quality who share the ideas and tools that make our world work better. With individual and organizational members around the world, ASQ has the reputation and reach...
No reviews available
LOOKING FOR TRAINING?
findcourses.com offers a free consultancy service to help compare training for you and your team