Moving from an Operational Manager to a Strategic Leader
Learn to become an innovator, a persuasive player and a champion of strategic change. This seminar gives you the right practice to close the gap between where you are now and where you want to be. You'll conduct SWOT analysis, leverage key prospects for strategic opportunities and inspire risk taking and innovation.
Make your mark. This training course gives you the skills to add value to your organization and move your team forward decisively.
How You Will Benefit
- Inspire and direct your team to greater readiness and competitiveness
- Use strategic thinking to add value to your organization by understanding the needs and expectations of your customers
- Anticipate and innovate strategies to link strategic vision to core capabilities
- Recognize opportunities to influence and create strategic alliances
- Use strategic thinking to identify key strengths and weaknesses in your work group
- Encourage and support risk taking and innovation at all levels
- Develop persuasive skills to sell your strategic ideas
Upcoming start dates
11 December, 2023
- New York City
18 December, 2023
- Virtual Classroom
Who should attend?
Managers with fewer than five years of management experience who want to move into a more strategic role.
- Define Operational Management and Strategic Leadership
- Understand the Classic Strategic Model
- Develop a SWOT Analysis for Your Work Group
- Create a Target for Future Success
- Develop a Mission Statement for Your Work Group
- Establish Linkage Between the Mission and Vision
- Encourage Innovation in Your Team
- Create a Strategic Approach to Your Particular Work Situation
Developing and Balancing Your Operational and StrategicManagement Skills
- Establish a Working Definition of Operational Management
- Explore the Key Attributes of Today’s Strategic Leaders
- Find the Balance Between These Core Competencies
- Reflect on Your Current Use of Operational Management and Strategic Leadership in Your Own Work Setting
Creating a Strategic Frame of Reference
- Understand the Key Components of a Strategic Frame of Reference
- Define Key Outputs at Each Level
- Develop a Strategic Leader’s Approach for Your Own Work Environment
Understanding Your Current Operational Mission: Your Team, Your Customers, and Your Competitors
- Clarify the Purpose of Your Work Group in the Context of Your Organization
- Draft a Mission Statement Defining the Operational Reality of Your Work Group
- Create a SWOT Analysis to Help You Understand Your Team, Your Customers, and Your Competitors
Developing a Strategic Vision: Moving from “What Is” to “What If”
- Assess Customers’ Needs, Wants, and Expectations
- Determine Optimal Approaches for Developing Customer Data and Input
- Learn to Use an Importance/Performance Matrix to Set Priorities for Your Work Group
- Understand the Power of Vision
- Create a Linkage Between the Organizational Vision and Your Work Group’s Mission
Making Your Vision a Reality: Influencing Key Stakeholders
- Develop Persuasive Skills to Sell Your Strategic Ideas
- Explore a Range of Options for Influencing Others
- Assess Your Ability to Encourage Innovation
- Learn How to Conduct 5 Key Conversations to Encourage Innovation in Your Group
Your Personal Plan: Developing and Selling Your Vision of the Future
- Complete a Strategic Frame of Reference for Your Department, Work Unit, or Team
- Prepare to Communicate Their Mission and Vision Statements Strategically
- Identify and Practice the Key Conversations You Intend to Have Upon Your Return to Work
- Develop a Personal Plan of Action
Course price for:
- Non Members: $2795
- AMA Members: $2495
Certification / Credits
Average rating 4.7
Very informative, opened my eyes up to how much there is to learn about strategic thinking and getting out of the day to day grind for a larger purpose.
The course was extremly user friendly and our instructor did a fantastic job of making sure materials were applicable and translated to each of those in attendance. I walked awa...
I don't have anything but good things to say about this course. The content was taught in a very easy to understand way and was catered to each participants level. We were taugh...
The American Management Association, International (AMA) is the global leader in talent development. Founded in 1923, AMA supports the goals of individuals and organizations through a complete range of educational products and services, including instructor-led classroom and virtual seminars, webinars,...